Aug 23, 2008

Dealing time with the Japanese




My next plan to write on this blog is about my experiences living in Fukuoka, Kyushu which ended last March. That may take some time.

Today, let's talk about managing time with the Japanese. I am talking from my experience so if you think its incorrect or inaccurate, do let me know.

We all know Japanese really, really puts priority on time. A train may come at , like 12:07 or 15:13, and it is punctual. What amazed me was that buses were also punctual in Japan, at least where I lived, in Fukuoka. The bus is equipped with a GPS system which is linked to the communication network, so you can check on your handphone the location of bus you are waiting for real-time. Maybe it has arrived at 2 earlier bus stops or will take another 4 minutes to arrive. I was a "single mom" when I did my MBA, so this information is extremely valuable. Usually I go out 3 mins before the bus arrive to the nearby bus stop. If there was an accident or traffic jam, the system will tell you the delayed arrival time.

Enough of that. Now, all of us know punctuality is important. So what happened if you missed the bus or woke up late?

With a Japanese, you MUST tell him/her that you are going to be late, and when you are expecting to arrive. Many non-Japanese people that I know failed to do this because they thought that the Japanese person will be angry with them. Of course they will be angry but if you do not tell them they will be angrier! And they will think,"Ooh, Malaysian time..".By informing them when you are arriving, they can do something else meanwhile.

However, there is one case that you should not be punctual or come earlier. Once, I was invited for a home-party by a close Japanese friend and some other guests were expected to come, not only me. In Malaysia, it is preferable if you could come earlier to help especially if the host is someone close to you. NEVER EVER do that in Japan! I came 20 minutes earlier to see if there was anything that I could do to help but I was scolded instead!

I should not come earlier because I was the guest and that the family is not prepared to have guests before the scheduled time. The best is if I came 5 mins later than the time.

Oh by the way, if you are going for an interview or meeting (you are at a lower position.such as supplier etc), be sure that you are there at least 5 minutes earlier.

Depart early, walk faster or run to be punctual, not only when you deal with the Japanese..anyone you deal with and make yourself stand out.

No comments:

My Cat's Video