Jul 4, 2009

Business is Jihad

I always admire 2 figures in Malaysian business circle; Tan Sri Syed Mokhtar Al-Bukhari and Tan Sri Muhammad Ali Hashim. I've read a lot about TSSMAB but have never seen him speaking in media. He has always keep himself low (which I really like about him).

Tan Sri Muhammad Ali Hashim, on the other hand, is now actively giving talks - his first I saw on TV attracted so much of my attention I realized he is a person with an exceptional aura. And his words - business is jihad - is something I can't agree more.

Owning a business now, I am feeling and tasting the "business is all about a jihad to the community and not all about money" statement. Many people might think jihad is when you are in a field of war, but fighting to survive a business is a battle itself. A good business practice is when you give back to the community and this will only take place when you have well-founded principles.

I was a practising engineer so, I felt the need to practice what I gained from my MBA. Everyday is exciting because every step I would make in maneuvering this business will connect me to the related bits I have learnt from the classroom and my work experience. It is like なるほど。。all the time. Oh needless to say, life in Japan had taught me a lot about managing an ideal business in the eyes of the customers.

I definitely do not know what will happen in the future but I hope as long as this thing is running, I will try to do everything in my power to contribute by providing the best service at an affordable rate. It is an open innovation; I always ask my clients what I can do to help them. And as this business takes off, I will execute the thing I have in mind to return to the community, insya-Allah. Business is jihad, anyway.

More on business jihad, go to


2 comments:

Najib Azmi said...

syaz-san, shitsumon aru..
i'm thinking of doing translation part-time. considering you've done that, what's your opinion. can you give me some heads up?

Shaz said...

Najibu-san,

Sorry for the late reply. Translation is a lucrative field, but it really gives you a headache esp. bila dateline (deadline) is approaching. I'm still doing it every now and then, kengkadang tu terpaksa tolak sebab xsempat.
So, I would recommend you doing it, cuma kena pandai bahagikan masa je la. You can register at ProZ.com and bid for translation job advertised. Good luck!

My Cat's Video