Jun 5, 2009

Here, knowledge is free

What I like the most about working here in UKM, apart from the flexibility, is the availability of knowledge for free.

I can ask publishers to send books to me at no cost as long as they are in line with my field/interest, and attend trainings arranged in-house or outside as I wish (and this happens almost all the time)

I have recently registered for a training on repairing printers. I have one unused printer at home because something went wrong but I don't know how to fix it. When I saw the ad in UKM's website, I thought it would be great if I can do it myself-what's more-its FOC!
A training on e-learning which I attended 2 weeks ago was also very helpful, not only for the class I am going to teach inside UKM, but also for those outside. If I have time, I can develop e-content for online learning-utilizing what I have learnt from the training.

As an educator, we also have the priviledge to request for readings not available in univ's library. Just ask online and they will get it for you.

So everyday, quietly in my room, I would devote myself to the ritual of reading--of course playing around with the internet when I get bored--and I can't tell you how fulfilling it is.

Nevertheless, I still hate deadlines but considering all the other 'blessings', it is absolutely fine for me.

It is not the money. It is when the knowledge is free, I am happy.









2 comments:

Najib Azmi said...

sounds great. is that just a UKM thing? or do you think other unis do that as well?

Shaz said...

I think all other public unis do the same thing. There is a course organized outside and I told the head of the program that I wanted to join, and she said, no problem, just write us a letter and we'll provide you the money.I am on!

My Cat's Video