Feb 9, 2009

Me returning to Japan soon ?

I don't want to talk about it, actually, but many on facebook who know me already knew so it is not a secret anymore.

I went to UKM (英名:National University of Malaysia) last week for a lecturer position interview. This position is at Faculty of Economics and Business and there were 5 applicants including me.


I was the third person into the interview room. The first two spent half an hour in the room but me...1 hour! Both of them were told to be prepared to be sent to the US for Phd.

The first thing the panels asked me was.."How to say 'good morning' in Japanese?"..
Then one of them asked me to speak some Japanese about myself.

Then the topic moved on to the economics situation in Japan and my personal opinion about it.
When I said that it is unlikely that Japan's economic will recover very soon because of the weakness in the leadership which resulted to lack of trust in politics, they kept on asking me more and more about it.

Then they say that if I am offered this position, I will be sent to Japan for a 3-year doctorate course.
Now, how fast can I go and to which university?
Man..that's a tough question...I just came back and my children are still trying to adjust themselves to the new environment.. but I am desperate to get this position.

Definitely they will not send me to Kyushu Univ. where I graduated my first and master degree. So I said," I don't mind any place but just don't send me to Hokkaido." :)

The first half of the interview gave the impression that they liked me and I am likely to get the position. However, the second part went sour because one of the panels questioned my credibility in teaching because I am from an engineering background. I tried my best to convince them that I have the hands-on experience and that I can share my expertise about Japanese business culture so I hope at least the dean believes in me.

In the end, they asked me to convert my undergrad results to CGPA because in Japan we are graded in A, B, C (A:80%~100%, B=70%~79%,C=60%~69%) and send to them to check if I am eligible for SLAB ( a postgrad scholarship scheme to upgrade bumiputra lecturers in gov. universities).

I left the interview room sceptical about the results I will receive in 2 weeks time.
If I get the position, I will have to return to Japan as soon as mid of this year.
Cepat betul!

So, till the week after next, I won't be having a peaceful sleep.

1 comment:

Najib Azmi said...

uwah! urayamashii... as soon as I become a certified gov servant I'll apply for monbusho

My Cat's Video